Some of the most common premises liability cases involve accidents where people slip and fall on wet and uneven floors, as well as scaffolding and higher grounds due to improper maintenance or indication of conditions. These accidents often result in serious injuries to the head and the back, where damage can cause profound lasting effects on a person’s life.
The costs involved in hospital stay, miscellaneous medical bills, rehabilitation, lost work time or disability can be tremendous, thus you should always seek help from experienced attorneys for maximum compensation.
Nine million people are injured in slip and fall accidents every year. These accidents can be far more dangerous that many people realize. In fact, the National Safety Council (NSC) reported that accidental falls were the primary cause of nearly 32,000 deaths in the year 2014 alone.
To put this figure into perspective, that makes falls the third leading cause of accidental fatalities in the United States. Only auto accidents and accidental poisonings (mainly drug overdoses) were more deadly. Many tens of thousands more suffer life-altering injuries each year as well. Some commonly occurring, but extremely serious, slip and fall accident injuries include:
○ Sprains, fractures and broken bones;
○ Joint damage, including shoulder, knee and hip injuries;
○ Back and spinal cord injuries; and
○ Severe head injuries, including concussions.
1) Seek Professional Medical Assistance: You need to see a doctor as soon as possible after your slip and fall accident. This is important for a couple of reasons. First, nothing should come before your health and safety. Many slip and fall accident injuries occur with a delayed onset. You may be more injured than you initially believe. You owe it to yourself and to your family to get a proper diagnosis. Further, in order to recover compensation you will need supporting medical documentation. If you do not get treated, it will be very difficult to prove your injuries.
2) Report Your Accident: San Francisco Bay Area slip and fall accidents should be reported to the proper authorities as soon as possible. Generally, this includes the owner or manager of the property where the accident occurred and any implicated insurance companies. If you have any questions about reporting your accident, an attorney can help.
3) Secure Evidence: Ultimately, a personal injury claim requires supporting evidence. Key slip and fall accident evidence can come in many different forms. For instance, you will need evidence that establishes the defendant’s liability and evidence that proves the full extent of your damages. It is critical that you to start thinking about obtaining evidence as soon as possible after your accident. This is because many types of evidence will begin to deteriorate immediately. For example, if you fail to take pictures of your injuries, you will miss out on the opportunity to do so.
4) Consult With a Lawyer: Finally, contacting a qualified San Francisco Bay Area slip and fall lawyer is the most important thing you should do after an accident. Your lawyer will review the unique circumstances of your case in order to determine how to best protect your legal rights and financial interests. The California personal injury claims process is complicated. You do not need to go through this process alone.
Don’t let insurance companies coerce you into accepting a low settlement. With help from a knowledgeable attorney you can increase your total compensation and not pay a dime in attorney fees until they recover for you. After seeking medical attention for your injuries you should seek FREE Consultation with our attorneys to determine if you have a case involving unsafe premises due to negligence.